Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mofo 2010: Walnut Tempeh Scramble

See, I love breakfast. I'll eat it for any meal and I'd much rather go out for breakfast than dinner.  When I was still in California, we went to breakfast as a family every Sunday and it's a tradition I dearly miss. The problem is that going out for breakfast as a vegan isn't always the easiest undertaking.Of course, I miss my family most of all, but I also miss going out for breakfast in general. The problem is that, as a vegan, it isn't always the easiest undertaking. Even in the Boulder area, offering tofu as a replacement option for eggs is rare.  But, there is one place that has a couple of vegan choices--and one is more than worth seeking out.

Honestly, the title of this post is a little misleading, since there are no actual walnuts involved in the making of this scramble. Instead, it's my version of the Walnut Cafe Tempeh Scramble. While I love going to Walnut Cafe, it's often very crowded and, with Eames eating as much as I do these days, it's gotten somewhat pricey for us to go there regularly (and don't even get me started on whether or not they actually have vegan sausage--it changes from month to month). So, for endless seconds and guaranteed vegan  sausage, I make it at home with my own expanding family.


Walnut Tempeh Scramble

Olive oil
 1 T tamari
4 medium potatoes, small dice
1 package tempeh, diced
1 green bell pepper, small dice
1 onion, small dice
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package Gimmelean, crumbled
1 1/2 t smoked paprika
1 t thyme
1 t Spike seasoning
3 T water
salt and pepper to taste

In one medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add tamari, then potatoes and tempeh. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. While those are cooking, mix seasoning and water in a very small bowl. When potatoes are semi-cooked and tempeh is browned, add in seasoning and water. Stir and cover.

At the same time, heat oil over medium high heat and add Gimmelean, onion, and bell pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, about 5-6 minutes. Then add garlic and cook until the Gimmlean is browned and onion/bell pepper is softened.

Once the potatoes are soft, add Gimmlean/onion/bell mixture to potatoes and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with Daiya, Cholula, and serve hot.

Makes about 4 good sized portions.

1 comment:

veganboyjosh said...

dishes like this will ensure your family continues to expand.